"The amount of toxic theobromine varies with the type of chocolate." For milk chocolate, any ingestion of more than 0.5 ounces per pound of body weight may put dogs at risk for chocolate poisoning. 5 lbs /200 mg /4 oz /0.5 oz Pets that ingest a few M&Ms or 1-2 bites of a chocolate chip cookie are unlikely to develop chocolate poisoning. From our study, we found that the average chocolate bar found in the market contains 2/3 ounces of milk chocolate. Milk chocolate - it's not too bad. It is important for children to know that they should not share their chocolate candy with their dog. As a rule of thumb, the darker the chocolate, the more potent the side effects on a dog. Can Dogs Eat Chocolate? Eating very small amounts of milk chocolate or chocolate-flavored treats will not harm most pets, but it is better to be cautious and keep all chocolate away from dogs and cats. But what does that mean? While half pound is enough for a 10 pound dog. It takes on average 7 pounds of chocolate to damage the average dog’s liver, (small dogs, of course, need to ingest less for damage to occur). Treatment is required for dogs who have eaten 3.5g of dark chocolate for every kilogram they weigh and 14g of milk chocolate for every kilogram they weigh. Chocolate is a well-loved snack and treat made from seeds from the Theobroma Cacao tree. But now we know chocolate is bad for dogs, let’s find out more about why dogs can’t eat chocolate. This equates to 1 oz per lb body weight. Chocolate is one of the most common causes of dog poisoning, and it may lead to the death of your companion. On the flip side, a tiny toy breed may get very sick after eating just a bite of baking chocolate. For many dogs, ingesting small amounts of milk chocolate is not harmful. One pound of milk chocolate is poisonous enough for 20 pound dog. Baking chocolate is very concentrated, 10 times more potent than milk chocolate, and is … Milk Chocolate. a small 45g / 1.6oz bar of milk chocolate would only be dangerous to a pet weighing less than 3.2kg or 7lb 14g of chocolate needs to be eaten per kg body weight before treatment is recommended. Excluding white chocolate, milk chocolate has the lowest concentration of theobromine in it. Our emergency vets have created a helpful calculator to allow owners to check if their dog has eaten a toxic amount. Mild to moderate toxic effects of methylxanthines in dogs can appear after a dog ingests as … Milk chocolate is very toxic to dogs and it only takes 2 ounces per pound of body weight to become lethal. Lethal Dose of Chocolate by Dog's Weight . *** Please be aware that while white chocolate typically contains negligible amounts of theobromine, it may contain cocoa butter, sugar, butterfat and milk solids, all of which are bad for dogs … These cacao beans contain the substances theobromine and caffeine, which both belong to the drug class methylxanthine. Can dogs eat chocolate? For example, a large breed dog is unlikely to be harmed by eating a bar of milk chocolate. The short answer is no, dogs cannot eat any chocolate because of the theobromine found in cocoa. Milk chocolate has a small risk of poisoning. So let’s start by a bold and clear statement: dogs should never eat chocolate, be it white, milk or dark. To put this in perspective, a medium-sized dog weighing 50 pounds would only need to eat 1 ounce of baker's chocolate, or 9 ounces of milk chocolate, to potentially show signs of poisoning. I guarantee there isn’t 7 pounds of chocolate in the chocolate milk. This means it would still take a fair amount of milk chocolate to reach toxic levels because a 20 pound dog would have to eat around 1 pound of milk chocolate. Solid milk chocolate and bittersweet chocolate bars can be toxic, especially to smaller dogs. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Dog's Weight /Lethal Dose of Theobromide/Milk Chocolate/ Unsweetened Chocolate .